Diabetic Blueberry Scones recipeIngredients:
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over and rinsed
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons Splenda (plus more for sprinkling on top if desired)
4 tablespoons heart-healthy margarine
1/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 cup egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon egg white (optional)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, rounded
1/2 teaspoon salt, scant
1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
1. Adjust the rack to center of the oven, and heat to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the two types of flour, 3 tablespoons Splenda, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the margarine until the largest pieces are the size of small peas.
3. Stir in the blueberries and lemon zest.
4. Using a fork, whisk together the milk and egg white in a liquid measuring cup.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the cream mixture.
6. Stir lightly with a fork just until the dough in lightly mixed.
7. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and press/pat into an 8-10 circle.
8. Using a sharp knife, cut into eight wedges.
9. Transfer to the baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
10. Brush the top with some egg white and sprinkle with Splenda if desired.
11. Bake for about 25-30 minutes (until golden brown).
12. Transfer the scones from the baking sheet to wire racks to cool.