Rate/Review this Recipe
Active Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 55 Minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
Wild mushrooms and Gruyere cheese make this Mac & Cheese the definition of decadent, but we think the chops would be better swapped for bacon.
6 tablespoons olive oil or more as needed
6 ounces boneless center-cut pork chops cut into thin strips
1 pound assorted wild mushrooms (or cultivated if necessary) wiped clean and coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium sized yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large ripe tomato, halved and grated on large holes of a box grater
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound penne pasta
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
1 tablespoon softened butter (for coating baking dish)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
You May Also Like
Zesty Pasta See More Similar Recipes »
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add half the pork and stir-fry until lightly browned. Using slotted spoon, remove pork to large bowl. Add another tablespoon of oil to skillet and brown remaining pork, removing to bowl as well.
2. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil to skillet and add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are lightly browned, stirring occasionally and adding additional oil if skillet looks too dry, about 7 or 8 minutes. Add half the minced garlic to mushroom and continue to cook for about 1 minute. Remove mushrooms and garlic to bowl with the pork. Wipe out skillet with paper towels.
3. Add another tablespoon of oil to skillet and heat over medium-low heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until very soft and golden brown, about 8 or 9 minutes. Add the remaining minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add grated tomato. Cook, stirring, until mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens a bit, about 3 minutes. Pour sauce into bowl with the mushroom and pork, stir and mix and season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until tender, but 1 to 2 minutes less than package instructions. Drain the pasta and place in large mixing bowl.
5. Add the mushroom and pork mixture to the drained pasta, along with 1/2 of the Gruyere cheese. Toss to coat. Lightly butter a 13” X 9” X 2” baking dish. Place the pasta into baking dish and spread evenly and level with spatula or back of large spoon. Sprinkle the remaining Gruyere and all the Parmesan evenly over the top. Bake in preheated oven until top is browned and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Serves 6 as a main dish
Article By : www.cooking.com