This apple crumb pie recipe gives you the wonderful taste of apple pie with a change from the standard pie crust. A brown sugar spiced crumb topping gives each bite extra delicious flavor.
Apple Crumb Pie
1 cup flour
1/3 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water, ice cold
31/2 pounds Granny Smith, Cortland, Jonagold apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1/4 teaspoon salt
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 cup flour
1/3 cup butter, chilled, cut in pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. To make crust: mix together flour and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the shortening into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs are formed.
4. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork, until a dough forms.
5. Shape into a flat circle then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
6. On a floured surface, roll dough with a floured rolling pin into a 12" circle. Fit into a 9" pie pan. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1 inch overhang; pinch edges to flute.
7. To prepare filling: in a large bowl, toss together lemon juice, apples, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Spoon mixture evenly into crust.
8. To prepare topping: mix together brown sugar, nutmeg and flour in a small bowl.
9. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the butter into the brown sugar mixture until coarse crumbs form.
10. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the filling to cover completely.
11. Place foil around crust to prevent burning. Bake, rotating halfway through for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.